Welcome to the Makefield Area Branch of AAUW, committed to the AAUW mission of advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy and research in Bucks County, PA.
Meet the Organizer of the Girls’ Recognition Reception
Shyla Jagannatha joined AAUW Makefield Area AAUW only a few years ago, but has already made her mark. She has served two terms on the board and this year took over as coordinator of the Girls’ Recognition Reception, implementing some exciting changes to the event. As a biostatistician with a teenage daughter, Shyla is particularly attracted to AAUW’s support for girls in STEM.
Our 2019 NCCWSL Scholarship Winner Reports Back
Lauren Beebe, an engineering student at Bucks County Community College, attended this year’s National Conference of College Women Student Leaders (NCCSWL) held May 29-June 1 at the University of Maryland, College Park. She submitted a report on what she describes as “a life-changing experience.”
In pursuit of our mission, our branch
- holds regular program meetings, where members learn about a variety of topics from international relations to popular culture
- advocates for public policy goals at the local, state, and national levels
- spearheads the Cops ‘n’ Kids Delaware Valley literacy project
- holds an annual Girls’ Recognition Evening for seventh-grade girls who excel in Math and Science
- helped institute Let’s Read Math, a program to teach children math concepts through reading children’s books
- sponsors interest groups that bring together members to develop shared interests
- gives scholarships to local high school girls and women returning to college
- co-sponsors community events such as the Bucks County Women’s History Month Award
The Makefield Area Branch serves the Yardley-Newtown area and surrounding communities of historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania (map).
Contact us for more information.